rthornquist

Wondering which tool I should use

Discussion created by rthornquist on Jul 31, 2012
Hi!

I'm doing a project on the externality value of public parks on real estate values. That is, I'm studying whether and to what extent being near a park makes a home more valuable. I'm hoping to capture the effects of multiple parks on any individual house based on their size using the gravity model. Basically, I have a table of addresses (geocoded in arcmap) with their prices and some other housing attributes. To each of those observations, I want to add information about their proximity to each of 400 or so parks. I also want to make sure that for each distance column, there is a corresponding park size.

I realize that was probably hard to follow, so I'm going to sort of draw the matrix of characteristics I'm hoping to attach to each geocoded address:

Row 1: [Home 1's address, square feet, etc.... distance to park 1, size of park 1, dist to park 2, size of park 2, ... dist to park 400, size of park 400]
Row 2: [Home 2's address, square feet, etc.... distance to park 1, size of park 1, dist to park 2, size of park 2, ... dist to park 400, size of park 400]
Row 3: [Home 3's address, square feet, etc.... distance to park 1, size of park 1, dist to park 2, size of park 2, ... dist to park 400, size of park 400]
and so on.

I've figured out how to do "distance to nearest park" but I'd like to use the gravity model so I really need all that info. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

Outcomes