moongoon

Import CSV: Data loss and rounding.

Discussion created by moongoon on Jul 30, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 5, 2012 by ebowman-esristaff
I've been importing .csv tables into ArcMap10 and saving them as shapefiles. They are all point data with many attributes (pollution information on emitting facilities). The attributes are just masses of emissions ranging from zero to 86,000,000. Mysteriously, when imported into ArcMap and saved as a shapfile, some of the attributes values are altered. It appears that for some columns, Arc has decided to round down to the nearest whole number. I lose any data less than 1 in these columns and in any columns where there are many values rounded down I get an erroneously low values. As mentioned it seems to be whole columns that get this problem and it seems to be random. I've tried altering the column numeric properties but it doesn't change a thing.

Is this a bug? Or is importing csv's a no no? I scoured the forum and saw that many have problems with maxing out the number of rows but I don't seem to have this problem.

Should I be importing with catalog and saving as a .dbf first? Any info on this problem would be greatly appreciated!

-Eric

Outcomes