How do I obtain 'Basic' license file to use for 'Basic' deployments of the runtime?

Jump to solution
07-30-2012 10:16 AM
Labels (1)
TimB
by
New Contributor III
I am trying to find out the correct POC for me to obtain the 'Basic' license file to embed in Basic runtime deployments.  Is it your customer service representative?  Your account representative? 

Our Customer Service Representative (always very helpful) was not yet sure and was checking on it.  We are also still waiting for an official quote from our Account Representative on some Standard Runtime deployments.

FYI, we have applications for both (Basic vs Standard) runtime deployments.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobElkins
Esri Contributor
Sorry for the confusions??? We haven???t been clear on the requirement for a Basic license (no cost) across Esri.  We are fixing the problem and by next week all EDN subscribers will be able to automatically request a Basic deployment license from the EDN Customer Care site.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

I believe you should contact your account representative for both Basic and Standard licenses.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
TimB
by
New Contributor III
HELP! Conflicting information:

I still can't find the source of the basic license string.  Also, the website (http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/runtime/pricing) states "Applications built with ArcGIS Runtime Basic do not require deployment licenses and can be deployed for free".  If you build a deployment (not using local server) without 'setting' a license string, the error states "License error with ArcGISRuntime.  No license was found...".  From the 2 pre-conf training and everything i've tested, it appears not to work without any string. 

I've contacted our account rep who sent us a quote for the standard licenses (which we are purchasing).  He was unaware of the 'Basic license file' needed and was looking into it ... no word.

I previously contacted our customer service rep who was looking into it ... no word. 

Any help from the dev's who coded the security aspect?  What is the appropriate 'workflow' for us devs to obtain the license file for just basic deployments?  The Local Runtime License Viewer states "This tool will retrieve valid license strings (if present) for products authorized on this machine.  I am assuming that for both standard deployment license purchases, and even basic deployment licenses, will somehow need to be authorized on the local dev machine (probably like the Developer Kit authorization process?)
0 Kudos
RobElkins
Esri Contributor
Sorry for the confusions??? We haven???t been clear on the requirement for a Basic license (no cost) across Esri.  We are fixing the problem and by next week all EDN subscribers will be able to automatically request a Basic deployment license from the EDN Customer Care site.
0 Kudos
TimB
by
New Contributor III
Rob,
Excellent!  Thanks for the response. 
-Tim
0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Rob

If the EDN developer would like to deploy the basic runtime application to 100 users what license would s/he used?

Thanks
Mody
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Hi,

When your EDN subscriber requests a Basic Deployment license from the EDN Customer Care site they should receive an authorization number (e.g. ABC123456789).

You should then run number through the Software Authorization Wizard accessed from the start menu under ArcGIS > Runtime SDK 1.0 for WPF > Runtime Tools. The Software Auth. Wizard will communicate with the esri servers online and generate the appropriate licenses which are added to a local store on your machine. You then access those as license strings from the License Viewer (under the same location in the Start Menu). The reason for the License Viewer step is that it conveniently creates the correct license string and even the syntax for the scenario you choose (i.e. test/deploy, basic/standard/standard+extensions, C#/VB.NET). For example the output from the license viewer could be something like:
ArcGISRuntime.SetLicense("runtimebasic,101,abc123456789,FGHGJFKDJGGHDJDKSJ");

The SetLicense call needs to be made before any ArcGIS Runtime functionality is accessed. If you look at the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF project template in Visual Studio you'll see we suggest setting the license in the Application class. Once you've called SetLicense you should then call the Initialize() method on the ArcGISRuntime class. This will throw an exception if the license is invalid for any reason. Deployment licenses do not timeout and therefore if it's valid at the outset it should remain valid. An exception is therefore unlikely, but of course should always be catered for.

e.g. This code will simply pop up a message box then close the app if the license is invalid.

// Initialize the ArcGIS Runtime before any components are created.
try
{
    ArcGISRuntime.SetLicense("runtimebasic,101,abc123456789,FGHGJFKDJGGHDJDKSJ");
    ArcGISRuntime.Initialize();
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
    // Alert the user (you may not want to display the actual error message to the user)
    MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString());

// Exit application
    this.Shutdown();
}

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Mike

Thanks for the full explanation but the technical process is clear.
The question is more commercial.
If you are EDN programmer for organization and use Basic functionality only.
Can you use this authorization string as many time as you like within the organization?

Thanks
Mody
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Hi,

Yes, you can use the same Basic license string from the License Viewer in each deployment of your application. That same is true for Standard and Extension licenses (i.e. purchaseable licenses) except that you need to ensure you have purchased the correct amount of licenses for the number of times you intend to deploy that application. This is intended to make it as easy as possible to develop and deploy applications.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Mike

Thanks but the basic license you get as part of EDN is for the EDN period only.
Do you have to replace it for all users once a year?
What happened if you do not continue to be an EDN user?

Thanks
Mody
0 Kudos