Editing Annotation

07-16-2012 07:31 AM
MichelleCouden1
Occasional Contributor III
Hey does anyone know if you can move the labels on feature - linked annotation like you can with converted labels annotation? With converted labels annotation you can open an editing session and move around the labels where you want them. But I am not being able to get my feature - linked annotation to do the same. In fact, I can't even get an editing session going for my feature linked anno.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi Michelle,

You should be able to edit your feature-linked annotation in editing mode just as your other geodatabase annotations. If you have map annotation (select to store in the Map instead of In a Database when converting from Labels to Annotation), then you edit those with the drawing toolbar. If you are certain the annotations are stored in a geodatabase and you cannot edit them, try adding them to a new, blank MXD to see if this works. If this doesn't work, then perhaps you can try to recreate your feature linked annotation to see if the new dataset works.
0 Kudos
MichelleCouden1
Occasional Contributor III
I just tried putting my annotation in a new mxd and it still is not working. I am doing something to not make it editable. When I am in the mxd and start an editing session, it is not letting me select any annotation. Nothing gets highlighted, no matter what I click on. Couple key points : 1)The only layers in the mxd are the annotation, I am in arcEditor, and those two layers are in the selectable list. Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
SamHaycraft
New Contributor
I've had some issues from time to time like this as well.  Sometimes after you've converted to annotation it won't let you move anything, but if you close ArcMap and start it up again it'll work.

Another thing I've noticed is that somtimes where you see the annotation isn't exactly where its geometry is.  What I'd do, is zoom out, use the identify tool and select a big area with All Layers as the option.  Then see if it picked up any of your annotation, and if so, select it.  This'll highlight the bounding geometry, not the actual text you see.
0 Kudos
Keith_McKinnon
New Contributor III

If you are in an SDE environment, check to see if the Feature Class or Feature Dataset is registered as versioned with move edits to base.  This one trips me up regularly.

0 Kudos