Unregister a Web Adaptor

07-13-2012 06:26 AM
JasonCleaver
Occasional Contributor
How do I unregister a web adaptor? 

Here is the issue.  When I initially created my 10.1 install, I installed the web adaptor and server on computer X.  Since then, I insallted the web adaptor on computer Y and via program manager, removed the web adaptor on computer X; I did this about two weeks ago.  Today, why I log into comptuer X and go to Site --> Web Adaptors, I still see computer X listed.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DerekWeatherbe
Esri Contributor
Hi Jason,

When you register a Web Adaptor with a site, it adds a bit of meta data about the Web Adaptor client machine to the site. That is what you see listed on the Site > Web Adaptor page in Manager.

At 10.1 Final, uninstalling the IIS Web Adaptor does not remove this metadata and we plan to fix this at SP1.

You can use the Administrator Directory application to remove the old Web Adaptor information:

1) Open http://localhost:6080/arcgis/admin in a browser.
2) Log in.
3) Navigate to System > WebAdaptors.
4) Select your old Web Adaptor.
5) Click Unregister.

The full URL would look like:

http://localhost:6080/arcgis/admin/system/webadaptors/<oldwebadaptor>/unregister

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks

Derek
BugPie
by
Occasional Contributor III

Insight on what scenarios would require one to unregister the web adaptor? I can't seem to find much on this action.

We are having issues installing the 10.3 version.

0 Kudos
DennisSmith
Esri Contributor

What are the issues you are experiencing Collin? When you un-install the web adaptor from the system, did you verify that the directory created from the web adaptor was removed before installing the new one? Are you installing as an administrator on the web server machine?

0 Kudos
BugPie
by

Hi Dennis,

We uninstalled the 10.1 adaptor, deleted the virtual directory from our website in IIS and then I renamed the web adaptor folder but left it in the website directory. Figured it was best to leave it but rename it in case it was needed to fall back on or use for troubleshooting.

When we uninstall the 10.3 after an unsuccessful attempt, we then delete the ArcGIS web adaptor virtual directory from our IIS site so that when we reinstall allowing us to use the same web adaptor name. We are then deleting the directory that is created on installation in our website directory. So what's left?  But clearly we are missing something.

I am installing under my account which is an admin. and the installation is on the web server, which in this case is our dev env so the GIS server and SQL are both on the same machine. 

Our in house developer reports that he does not think the request is even making it to IIS as he can't find even a failed request entry.

Does this call for the un-registration of the web adaptor perhaps?

0 Kudos
DennisSmith
Esri Contributor

What we can do is to log into the ArcGIS Server Manager and then access SIte, Web Adaptor and remove the web adaptor there. Once we have verified that there are no more web adaptors registered with the ArcGIS site, we can proceed to install the new web adaptor.

As we were able to perform this Colin, by removing any remnants of the previously installed web adaptors, we were able to install and configure a new onw.

BugPie
by

Going into manager and removing the existing web adaptor was in fact the missing piece. I would say that this didn't seem to be very clear in the installation guide. Unregistering should be more discussed a bit more.

Thank you 

0 Kudos
LeeBrannon1
Occasional Contributor

From my recent experience in ArcGIS Server 10.6.1, this is still an issue.  

Meaning, I uninstalled Web Adaptor per ArcGIS documentation...that is all it says to do.  I then restarted ArcGIS Server and then restarted the server machine.  Then I checked ArcGIS Server Manager, Site tab, and it still had the Web Adaptor listed as registered.  So I went into  ArcGIS Server Admin and unregistered it there per the instructions in the reply above.  It worked - cleared the Web Adaptor registration from Manager.

Unless I am missing something, would it not be helpful to include those instructions in the online ArcGIS documentation that covers Uninstalling Web Adaptor so it is all in one handy location?