One geometry for multiple cables in same conduit or trench

07-12-2012 11:08 AM
AdamJulson
New Contributor
We are looking to implement the telecom model 10.1 to help manage our intelligent transportation system which includes fiber, copper, conduit and cameras, road detection, electronic signs etc.   When looking at the telecom data model it appears fiber, copper and conduit are all managed as separate feature classes and each have their own geometry.  We are looking to manage 1 geometry for conduit, fiber and copper if they share the same space.  So if there is a trench with a conduit and in the conduit we ran 2 fiber cables and 4 copper cables it only shows 1 line.  This would help us manage multiple cables and streamline the back and forth GIS and CAD conversions.

Has anyone modified the model to accomplish something similar to this?  Any advice or examples would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Adam
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarkReddick
New Contributor III
Hi Adam,

I think one of the questions here might be what is the real reason you are looking to manage in this way. Is this being driven by an end user requirement or the data migration issues you mentioned (GIS to CAD and vice versa)? If its the latter maybe we can talk about those?

Short of some major changes to the model (adding spans and making other features tables only - or somehow null'ing out geometry) i'm not sure how easy this would be to do. One of the problems is that other organizations do want to see this full level of detail so we would need a generic but customize-able solution.

Schematics could maybe be used to give you these views. Would require some custom work in the form of a Schematics XML Builder DLL to generate the simplified views. Again i dont know how or if this fits into the end user requirements and any workflows.

Regards,

mark
0 Kudos