Gregs66

Stacked & Rotated Features - Can I only pick one?

Discussion created by Gregs66 on Jul 10, 2012
Hi All,

I'm working a map of our street signs along our county roads. We've collected GPS points and attributes of each sign and post.
We've figured out a way with the help of some very bright folks (the awesome Stephen Kruzik!) to rotate those signs based on the direction of travel. The problem is many of the signs are on the same post which means that the features are stacked on top of each other.
OK. Not a problem. We'll convert them to representations and using the 'Disperse  Markers' tool seperate them out. Yea... not so good. We lose the rotation when we do this. The 'Disperse  Markers' tool also doesn't respect which side of the road the symbol is on so it will gladly disperse signs that should be on the north side of the road onto the south side.

The Maplex solution for coincident features won't work for us due to the number of features we have; >3000.

I'm sure we are not the only County struggling with these road sign issues. (Don't get me started on the lack of current MUTCD sign symbology).

Any ideas on how to do this?

Best Regards,

Greg Sutherland
San Juan County Public Works
GIS Coordinator

Outcomes