All services stopped - Server Manager 10.1

07-09-2012 04:31 AM
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
have a client who just started having this problem.  All services are stopped. Trying to start them does nothing. Tried restarting ArcGIS Server service, didn't help.

2008 R2
Tags (2)
11 Replies
IanKramer
New Contributor III
Hi,
Is it all services or just the Geoprocessing ones?  I had an issue where none of my GP services were running, including the 3 system ones (CachingTools, PublishingTools, ReportingTools).  I installed a fresh copy of 10.1 on a machine that originally had 10.0.  The problem was a missing pointer to the Python folder (e.g. C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.1\Lib).  Put that in your Environmental PATH variable and restart the ArcGIS Server service.  Hope that helps.

Ian
0 Kudos
BubbaHey
Thanks. All services. Can't create or publish new ones either.
0 Kudos
BubbaHey
Great idea, can't test it though. Client started over again from scratch
0 Kudos
heatherdaw
New Contributor III
Did anyone find an answer to this?  I'm having the same problem.
0 Kudos
BertrandLAURANCIN
Esri Contributor
Hello,
I had a similar problem with a virtual machine. I added one processor and more ram to correct the problem.
Bertrand
0 Kudos
YangLiu2
New Contributor II
I got the same problem when I changed ArcGIS Server account and rebooted Server machine. There is an error "Server machine '#######' is currently being configured by other administrative operators. Please try again later..." when I manually started every service through ArcGIS Server Manager.

The issue was that the Configure ArcGIS Server Account tool did not assign appropriate permissions to the �??arcgisserver�?� folder. What we did to fix it is: manually changing permissions on the �??arcgisserver�?� folder by adding another ArcGIS Service user and giving it FULL CONTROL (including subfolders and files)  through the Advanced Security Settings. PS: make sure check "replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" in Advanced Security Settings window. Everything is working again now. 

However, we are concerned that we may have inadvertently created a security issue after providing FULL CONTROL. Could anyone give advise? Thanks!
0 Kudos
NathanSommers
New Contributor III
I too am having the same issue of all my services stopping for no apparent reason.  We haven't changed anything, they were working fine one day and the next day they were all stopped.  Restarting the server did not help.  After logging into Server Manager I found that all the services were in the "Stopping..." process and not completely stopped.  After stopping the service and starting it again, it starts and gives me the message that the service was started successfully but them immediately stops again.  I am running ArcGIS Server Workgroup Standard 10.1 SP1 on a Windows Server 2008 R2.  Does anybody have any ideas as to why this might be happening?

Thank you,

Ian
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Ian, does the user account that is running the ArcGIS Server service on your server have read/write permissions on the ArcGIS Server directories and configuration store?  I am assuming that your ArcGIS Server site consists of a single machine only.  If there are multiple machines in the site, then the account running the service on each should have exactly the same name and password.  Furthermore, a domain account is something I would recommend for the service run-as account.
0 Kudos
NathanSommers
New Contributor III
William,

Thanks for the reply.  We only have one machine in our site and we currently use a domain account that has read/write permissions to all the arcgis directories and config store.  I gave the arcgis account full permission as well just to see if that would help and it did not.  I also tried using a different domain account but that did not work either.  After talking with ESRI the made the suggestion of re installing the arcgis server.  That was what I was trying to avoid however it seems to have worked.  I'm still not sure what happened in the first place but we're back up and running now.

Ian
0 Kudos