creating polygons offset from linear feature

07-03-2012 01:59 PM
MattMillard
New Contributor II
Hello everyone,

I wonder if there is an existing script, model, extension, add-in, or what have you, to address the following situation.

I have a linear feature that changes in bearing fairly frequently. I would like to draw boxes (create features) offset from the line with the long axis parallel to the line. The boxes vary in length and width and how often they are placed. They are usually, but not always, 4 sided; occasionally there are additional inflection points in the long side, so that the long axis of the box remains parallel to the line. Sometimes, I will have a coordinate of one of the corners, and sometimes the centre of the box, along with the length and width.

I'm wondering if there are any tools that may be able to help address some or all of this issue, ideally by ingesting a list and outputting the boxes.

Cheers,

Matt Millard
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Buffer tool with the FLAT end option could give you a box-like shape; the buffer distance would be half of the width you need.

If you have ArcGIS 10, you can try the Miminum Bounding Geometry tool:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00170000003q000000

When the input line is a straight line, you can use the RECTANGLE_BY_WIDTH geometry type; the tool will create a very narrow box with the line's orientation.
0 Kudos