Combining XY information and a shapefile

06-28-2012 02:00 PM
deleted-user-QBM2W6PENTzE
New Contributor
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out a way to automate a process.

Basically, my coworkers gather point data every day (coordinates and attributes) and then input it into an excel sheet. Then I have to make a map out of the constantly changing data.

But if I "display XY data" from the excel sheet then I have to go through symbology everytime they add a point because I'd have to "display XY data" again since event layers aren't automatically updated when the excel sheet is changed (right?).

If I create a personal geodatabase and have them edit the data in Access, new points aren't going to be added everytime they add coordinates (right?).

Basically my idea right now is to "display xy data" using excel, add a point to my own shapefile (using snapping), and then keep up a join with a common identifier (this is so I don't have to go through symbology everytime). I guess if I create a symbology layer it wouldn't be that bad though.

Sorry I didn't explain that very well. Any better ideas? My main goal is to stay with one comprehensive database and have the least amount of steps as possible.

Thanks,

Jacqueline
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Will you always be generating new points from the data gathered in the field?  If so, you could look into creating a model using ModelBuilder that will perform each step you'd go through manually.  All of the steps you go through have corresponding geoprocessing tools, (Make XY Event Layer -> Copy Features (if you need a permanent layer) -> Apply Symbology from Layer).  All inputs can be hardcoded so that you can just run the model without dealing with inputs or outputs.  If you turn on the option to overwrite the outputs of geoprocessing operations, you can overwrite the existing feature class you have in your database each time you run the model, (Geoprocessing menu > Geoprocessing Options > Overwrite the outputs of geoprocessing operations).
0 Kudos
deleted-user-QBM2W6PENTzE
New Contributor
This worked beautifully- thank you! I had no idea there was an Apply Symbology tool.

-Jac
0 Kudos