Norton

Load attribute field values into Parameter Value List

Discussion created by Norton on Jun 14, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2012 by smehta-esristaff
In ModelBuilder I have set up a parameter for the end user to type a string value in. I would prefer a simple dropdown that includes all the values of a particular attribute table field (e.g., all the owner names of a parcel Shapefile). That is, like pressing the "Get Unique Values" button in a "Select by Attribute" dialog. Since there are thousands of values (which are frequently changing), it's not feasible to enter these values manually in a Parameter Value List. Is there a way to simply load all the values of a specific attribute field into this Parameter Value List?

I noticed there is a Model Only Tool called Get Field Value. This could be run as a iterative loop through each record of the Shapefile, dumping the respective value into the Parameter Value List. But I'm stumped as to how to actually tack that value into the list. Am I on the right track here, and if so, what the mechanism for populating the Value List? If not, do you have a better approach? Ideally, I'd love something like a combo box that allows the end user to either scroll through the Value List, or start typing the string and have the list "bounce" to the appropriate spot in the list (like the "Get Unique Values" option does in the "Select by Attributes" dialog).

Thanks for your suggestions!

Outcomes