AnsweredAssumed Answered

Find ???highest??? Text Value From Multiple Features

Question asked by alantoms on Jun 12, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 by alantoms
The end goal is to have a feature class of points that represent a street intersection with an attribute of the highest street classification of the streets that lead into that intersection.  Example, if I have an arterial road and a collector road at that intersection I want the intersection point to have a value of arterial.  I???m kind of stuck on how to do the ranking of the intersections.
Here is what I have so far.

1. Intersect tool on a single street centerline feature class (EndPoints).  The output is a point feature class of the end points of the street lines that intersect. An intersection of 4 line features would result in 4 coincident points with attributes from the street line it came from.

2. Dissolve tool to create a point feature of the coincident points (Intersection).

Now I???m not sure who to efficiently proceed.   My current though is to use a python script for the rest.

• Take each point in the Intersection feature class and then Select By Location to select the corresponding points from the Endpoints feature class.

• Somehow rank the selected EndPoints features for the highest classification.  They are currently text values so I???m not sure how to calculate this.  For example I will have a location with 2 Highway EndPoints features and 2 Local EndPoints features.  I???m thinking of looping through the selection to populate a list of the classification values, then running if/else against the list looking for the highest value.  The following is not correct syntax but I think it explains it.

• for features in selection  list.append(value)  intersection value()  if Intersate in list:   return Intersate  elif Highway in list:   return Highway  elif Loca in list:   return local

Anyone see any issues with my thought process or know a better way to accomplish what I???m after?

Thank you
Alan

Outcomes