I need help !!

06-06-2012 04:48 AM
NOELROSALES
New Contributor
I�??ve opened several layers under the table of contents in ArcMap, but cannot see all of them at the same time.  I can zoom to a state of Maryland layer and see it in the workspace. However, the other layers (roads, hydrology, census blocks) in my table of contents are invisible.  Zooming to one of the �??invisible�?� layers reveals it and all the other previously invisible layers. It was frustrating, so I decided to move on to my next planned task, creating a new shapefile in ArcCatalog, dragging it over to the table of contents in ArcMap, launching the Editor tool and digitizing (drawing) the feature. I was able to create the shapefile and successfully move it to the ArcMap table of contents. However, I cannot edit it!! It�??s sitting in the table of contents but NOT listed as one of the files available for editing in the Editor window.  So I gave up and decided to clip all the major roads to just those within the state of Maryland so I�??d feel I�??d accomplished something!  OMG, I can�??t even clip!  In fact NONE of the common geoprocessing tools work. 
All of the above is caused by the same problem or omission, occurring TWICE -- Your job is to respond in the forum to  �??talk him down�?� and help him understand what is wrong and explain how to correct the two instances of the same problem and get some work done before the sun goes down.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I�??ve opened several layers under the table of contents in ArcMap, but cannot see all of them at the same time.  I can zoom to a state of Maryland layer and see it in the workspace. However, the other layers (roads, hydrology, census blocks) in my table of contents are invisible.  Zooming to one of the �??invisible�?� layers reveals it and all the other previously invisible layers.

This sounds like a projection issue.  One or more of your shapefiles/feature classes are in the wrong projection.  I would add some reference data to your ArcMap document that you know is in the correct projection.  You can find such data at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10\Reference Systems

I would recommend adding the usstpln83 shapefile.  See which of your shapefiles align correctly in the state of maryland.

I decided to move on to my next planned task, creating a new shapefile  in ArcCatalog, dragging it over to the table of contents in ArcMap,  launching the Editor tool and digitizing (drawing) the feature. I was  able to create the shapefile and successfully move it to the ArcMap  table of contents. However, I cannot edit it!! It�??s sitting in the table  of contents but NOT listed as one of the files available for editing in  the Editor window.

Try creating a new editing template:

1.  On the Create Features editing window, click 'Organize Templates' at the top
2.  Click New Template
3.  Select any layers that are not appearing in the Create Feature editing window

So I gave up and decided to clip all the major roads to just those  within the state of Maryland so I�??d feel I�??d accomplished something!   OMG, I can�??t even clip!  In fact NONE of the common geoprocessing tools  work. 

What is the error you are receiving when you try and execute the geoprocessing tool?
0 Kudos