Extremely slow Basemap service response times

Jump to solution
06-04-2012 03:19 PM
DavidDiggs
New Contributor
I'm considering using the Understanding GIS: An ArcGIS Project Workbook for my undergraduate GIS class.  I'm an experienced ArcGIS user, having taught undergraduate GIS classes for over 15 years.  I've spent most of today (6/4/2012) testing some of the exercises (mostly chapter 1).  I've tested on 3 PCs (2 windows 7, 1 vista)--two have very fast internet (I did a speed test) and the other is my home PC (moderate internet speed).  I'm getting extremely slow response/refresh times when I use the ESRI map services with the tutorial data.  My slowest was a 9 and 1/2 minute load time for exercise 1a (end of exercise).  Panning across the page the refresh of the imagery layer and the L.A. river/L.A. boundary would take from 4 seconds to over 2 minutes (most of the time 15-25 seconds).  Twenty-five seconds is an eternity for a student!  I'm really concerned this book has a potential fatal flaw--it's dependence on ESRI streamed map services.

I've taught Web GIS--so I'm up to speed on how map services work, projection on the fly, hardware acceleration, etc.  If I turn off the tutorial data (which I believe are in WGS84, then the Web Mercator basemap(s) certainly run much faster.

I like the book and it's advanced introductory level (perfect for one of my classes).  It's well written and I like the project approach.  But the bottom line is that my students need to have reasonable response times when working with the tutorials. Patience is not a virtue of today's average undergraduate student!

Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Were the ESRI map servers slow today (6/4)?  I've got to make a decision in a few days.  Any suggestions?
Dave
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
Thus, my suggestion of users of your book would be that they export their definition queries into new shapefiles/feature classes, thus avoiding this potential issue.

Hi Dave, we've written some step-by-step instructions based on your recommendation and added them to a link called Basemaps refresh slowly on the Understanding GIS Resource Center page. Thanks for putting in the time to find a workaround to the problem.

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ChristianHarder
Esri Contributor
Hi Dave,

Sorry you're having that problem. Thanks for the head's up. This is not normal or expected. The basemap services are intended to be fast and responsive 24/7. We'll investigate it today and get back to you as soon as we learn something useful. Please include a phone number and direct email in your next post so we can reach you directly to troubleshoot. Thanks.

Christian
0 Kudos
ChristianHarder
Esri Contributor
Dave, I forgot to ask you a critical question: what version of ArcGIS are these computers running and what OS?
Christian
0 Kudos
DavidDiggs
New Contributor
I did extensive testing this morning and I think I hit upon the issue. A strong possibility for the lag time is that exercises 1a and 1b uses definition queries for the LA river and city outline (from much larger files).  Thus, I assume, the query may have to be done each time one zooms, pans, etc.??  I exported the LA river and city outline queries into shapefiles, added to the map document and then deleted the old layers (with definition queries).  MUCH FASTER.  Nothing over 7 seconds.  I redid the test with the layers (again without definition queries) as geodatabase feature classes (but not inside the feature datasets�??thus, still GCS_WGS_1984).  Same result�??FAST.  Thus, no difference between shapefile vs. feature class.  Thus, to me, this clearly suggests that the definition query is slowing things down considerable, and, secondary�??the reprojection on the fly.

Thus, my suggestion of users of your book would be that they export their definition queries into new shapefiles/feature classes, thus avoiding this potential issue.  However, you should note that even after doing this occasionally the basemap layer would not display (although it is in the table of contents).  Re-adding the basemap layer or restarting ArcMap and then re-opening map document fixes this issue (this only happened once to me after exporting the layers�??and ridding my map document of the definition queries).  ArcGIS version:  ArcInfo Desktop 10.0 service pack 4.
0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
Thus, my suggestion of users of your book would be that they export their definition queries into new shapefiles/feature classes, thus avoiding this potential issue.

Hi Dave, we've written some step-by-step instructions based on your recommendation and added them to a link called Basemaps refresh slowly on the Understanding GIS Resource Center page. Thanks for putting in the time to find a workaround to the problem.

Tim
0 Kudos
KeremGungor
New Contributor II
I was experiencing extremely slow response times with Bing world imagery basemap on my ArcMap 10.1. Antivirus softwares and Windows firewall have been suggested as two likely culprits significantly reducing the basemap loading speed. I have Norton Antivirus operating behind the scene on my computer. I turned it off and I did not observe any improvement. However, slow loading basemap problem was GONE after I turned off Windows Firewall.  My bing world imagery basemap loads just fine right now.
0 Kudos
FrankRoberts
Occasional Contributor III

We have been seeing some very slow draw times on and off with the Road and Streets basemap (E.g on 8/13/2014 between 2:00 and 4:00 pm Pacific time).  We have started development on a tool to verify it it is our network or if it is something at Esri.  Does anyone know if there is someone at Esri we can talk to about this?  Or if tools exist at Esri for us to monitor the basemap average draw speed?

Thanks

Frank Roberts

0 Kudos
LorinCrandall1
New Contributor III

How has this not gotten a response from ESRI Staff?

0 Kudos