AnsweredAssumed Answered

Grouping Polygons for Display Only

Question asked by gambrels on May 22, 2012
Latest reply on May 23, 2012 by gambrels
Hi all, Hopefully a simple question for you.  I'm using ArcInfo 9.31.

I have a polygon feature class of watersheds which have been divided up into subwatersheds.  So the base feature is a tributary to one of a number of larger streams in town.  The features all include a field for a "primary watershed" - basically allowing us to group the subatersheds into one stream's overall watershed.

So the question is this:  How do I DISPLAY just the outline of the larger, primary watersheds, without showing the boundaries of the subwatersheds inside? 

I need a solution that is just a display setting for producing maps, which deosn't involve editing or geoprocessing the data.  Both the original watersheds (divided to subwatershed) and the grouped watersheds (primary watersheds) will continue to be used into the future, for maps and for general GIS use.  We also expect these watershed boundaries to change in the near future as we collect more information, so I really don't want to have to try to keep two parallel datasets - one if primary watersheds and one of subwatersheds - geometrically identical.

Can it be done?  Perhaps with a Representation???

Thank you for your time!
Sean

Outcomes