DirectX End-User Runtime

05-10-2012 05:26 AM
Labels (1)
MatthiasSchenker
Esri Contributor
If the DirectX End-User Runtime is not installed, the accelerated display samples in the sample application (ArcGIS Runtime WPF Samples 1.0) crash with the information to check if the End-User runtime is installed. Is it possible to check this already in the setup?

Thank You,
Matthias
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

At Prerelease the new accelerated display functionality is dependent on having the DirectX End User Runtime installed. However we are investigating removing this dependency for the release of 1.0 final.

There is some more information on this in the release notes: http://resourcesbeta.arcgis.com/en/help/runtime-wpf/concepts/index.html#/Release_notes_ArcGIS_Runtim...

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
BrooksShannon
New Contributor
Hi,

At Prerelease the new accelerated display functionality is dependent on having the DirectX End User Runtime installed. ...

There is some more information on this in the release notes: http://resourcesbeta.arcgis.com/en/help/runtime-wpf/concepts/index.html#/Release_notes_ArcGIS_Runtim...

Hey Mike,

I've gone so far as to install the DirectX End-User Runtime, as instructed, but the Accelerated Map samples still crash on my machine.  The error details are:

Sample: LocalAcceleratedMap
Error: Accelerated Display failed to create. Please check DirectX end user runtime is installed. Also check the graphics drivers support Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM), note that standard VGA drivers do not support WDDM.
Stack Trace:
   at ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.NativeMap..ctor()
   at ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.DrawingSurface.CreateRenderSurface()
   at ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.Map.OnApplyTemplate()
   at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.ApplyTemplate()
   at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.MeasureCore(Size availableSize)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.Measure(Size availableSize)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Grid.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
   at MS.Internal.Helper.MeasureElementWithSingleChild(UIElement element, Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.Controls.ContentPresenter.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Border.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Control.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
   at MS.Internal.Helper.MeasureElementWithSingleChild(UIElement element, Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.Controls.ContentPresenter.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout()
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayoutCallback(Object arg)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.InvokeOnRenderCallback.DoWork()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Sample: LocalAcceleratedMap
Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Stack Trace:
   at ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.DrawingSurface.SetSize(Int32 width, Int32 height)
   at ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.Map.<Map_SizeChanged>b__d()
   at ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.ThrottleTimer.<.ctor>b__1(Object s, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherTimer.FireTick(Object unused)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

I've updated my display drivers to their latest version, to no avail.  For what it's worth, I'm running Vista 32 w/ DirectX 10.

Do you have any advice on other things I could try, or thoughts about what might be causing this problem?

Thanks!
Brooks
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Please can you confirm whether you have installed DirectX v9.0c from the link in the release notes? (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109).

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
LarsLarsen
New Contributor II
I had/have a similar problem. I got the error message about the missing DirectX, I then installed it from the link mentioned by Mike.

Now the error message has disapeared, but no symbols at all are plotted on the map, i.e. it is completely white, aprt from taht the application seems to be running normaly

I am running Windows7 on a Dell Lattitude laptop.
0 Kudos