Data Driven Page labels - irregular polygons

05-09-2012 09:01 AM
RasithaRathnayake
New Contributor
Hi All,

I have a Mapbook Index Area Polygon shapefile that I am using as my source feature class for data driven pages.  Each mapbook polygon has a name.  I am also trying to use dynamic text to add page numbers of surrounding mapbook polygons in layout view.  I understand that this can be done using the calculate adjacent polygon tool, however the issue is my Mapbook polygons are irregular (the tool only works with regular polygons).  Also, there could be a different number of surrounding mapbook polygons for each polygon.....So different mapbook pages will have a different number of surrounding mapbook labels depending on the page.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this before or know if there is a workaround or a script that can be used?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoelCalhoun
New Contributor III
I have had the same problem.  I came up with a simple solution using Maplex polygon border labeling.
I made a little word document tutorial.

See this thread.
Also refereced in this thread.

Post back if you have any questions.

Joel
0 Kudos
RasithaRathnayake
New Contributor
I have had the same problem.  I came up with a simple solution using Maplex polygon border labeling.
I made a little word document tutorial.

See this thread.
Also refereced in this thread.

Post back if you have any questions.

Joel

Awesome, thanks!  I'll look into it and let you know if I have any questions.
0 Kudos
RasithaRathnayake
New Contributor
So the only issue with this is I need to be able to place the labels on the actual border of the page in layout view (outside of the data frame).  Any suggestions?

Thanks
0 Kudos
JoelCalhoun
New Contributor III
That is one of the issues with this method since it uses labeling and not dynamic text, you can't have the labels outside of a data frame.
For the more professional production type maps, this type of adjacent labeling may not be suitable, but for our interal work maps using the labeling method is sufficient.

There is probably a way to do what you want using arcpy.mapping to update the content and location of dynamic text around the data frame but I suspect it would be quite a challenge.

If you do find a better solution I would love to hear it.

Joel
0 Kudos