Image Service Issues

05-06-2010 01:19 PM
AaronSchuck
New Contributor III
I have been having an issue with published image services that I've been creating.  I will go through the process of publishing an image service within an mxd, everything will turn out great, I can host the image on our servers and pull it up no problem. 

The thing is, there is a standard deviation stretch applied to the image when I pull up the service in Arcmap.  The problem is fixed easily enough, I just go into the properties of the service, and turn the stretch off.  But I want to know why this stretch applies in the first place...?  There is even a portion within the image service creation wizard that asks if I want to apply a stretch.  I always make sure that this option is left unchecked, yet the stretch comes up in my hosted images every time.  Has anyone else run into this problem?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
The issue is that in one of the processes stats for the service were created and are associated with the service. When ArcMap opens a raster that contains stats it by default applied a 2StdDev stretch. This can be turned off in the ArcMap 'Tools,Option,Raster, Display rasters with contrast stretching' option. This though is only for one machine. There does not exist a specific tool to remove the stats from a service. The simplest method is to open the xxx.ISDef/ImageService.ISDef  file with a text editor. Find and delete the node called <Bands> IE the section
      <Bands>
        <ActualValues>true</ActualValues>
        <Alias>Histogram Generation for ImageService</Alias>
     </Bands>
You will need to recompile the service.
Do not run the Build with the "Compute output properties" else the stats will be regenerated.
0 Kudos
AaronSchuck
New Contributor III
Hey man, thanks a million!  It worked like a charm!  I really appreciate your help.
0 Kudos