sscpord

Python problem

Discussion created by sscpord on Apr 25, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 25, 2012 by sscpord
Hi

I am having a lot of difficulty getting my head around what to do and how to write this with my very limited knowledge of python so any help would be appreciated.

I have a geodatabase called Buckinghamshire_ County.gdb with a number of feature classes , one of which is called Test. Within this Test feature class there are four fields titled   linenumber,  startpoint, endpoint  and identity.

What I would like to do is to begin on the first row and take the value from the endpoint field. Then using this value search through all the values of the startpoint field until a match is found. When a match is found I then want to get the value of the linenumber on the row where the match is found and insert it into the identity field on the first row.

When that is complete I want to move onto the second row and redo the process of searching and inserting so that in the end I have populated the identity field for all the matching endpoint and startpoint values.

It would be great to run the python code from the field calculate tool but I don???t know if that will be possible this is not possible

Outcomes