Use shapefile polygons as blocks

04-18-2012 12:56 AM
PaulLambert1
New Contributor
Is it possible to import shapefile polygons and use them as blocks which can then be subdivided into lots? I've tried using the Shapes > Subdivide... menu option but it just makes the shape dissapear. I've tried the same on a shape built within CityEngine itself and this doesn't seem to subdivide it at all.

As far as I can tell from the help file I'm doing it as I should be, but am I missing something?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
PaulLambert1
New Contributor
UPDATE

I've figured out why the shapes built in CityEngine weren't subdividing, the normals were facing the wrong way. One issue once they're subdivided though...they all have the same seed meaning any randomness is removed. I'm getting round this by setting the seedian based on the area of the subdivided shape but is there a more elegant way of doing this?

I still haven't figured out what the problem is with the shapefile shapes. Maybe too many vertices?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
make sure you draw shapes counter-clockwise, this makes sure the normals are showing up.

if you select the shapes, then go Shapes > Reset Seed, this will create all new seed values. check the seed in the Inspector under the Information tab. (maybe deselect/reselect if it does not properly refresh.)

with the shapefile shapes, can it also be the normal ? did you try to reverse the normal via the Shapes menu ?

let me know ..
0 Kudos