Converting LiDAR data to Contours

04-10-2012 02:15 PM
raja
by
New Contributor
At present, I have ArcGIS 9.3.1 and have purchased several tiles of LiDAR data (XYZ format and LAS format) for my entire county.

Can anybody provide any guidance or direct me to a procedure somewhere that outlines how to convert this data into smooth, seamless contour data?  Can this be accomplished in ArcGIS 9.3.1?  Is there additional software that will handle this task better?

Thus far, I have found procedures that show how to convert these tiles by using the LAS to MultiPoint utility, and then creating surfaces/contours using Spatial and 3d analyst.  However, the contours do not match up at tile boundaries. 

Any thoughts, recommendations, or advice are appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffreyEvans
Occasional Contributor III
Martin Isenburg just released a ArcGIS toolbox interface for his LASTools. This is very cool and a big thanks should go out to Martin!

Download the LASTools library here: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~isenburg/lastools/

After installing you will find the toolbox in: "C:\lastools\ArcGIS_toolbox" and the associated Python scripts in: "C:\lastools\ArcGIS_toolbox\scripts"
To convert lidar returns to contours look for the las2iso tool. Note that if you want ground-only returns to generate a DEM you will need to deal with the point cloud appropriately. If ground returns are not classified you can run the lasground tool. The LASTools library is intended for working with lidar point clouds in an LAS format. There is a utility for converting xyz ASCII data to LAS as well as LAS to point shapefiles.
0 Kudos
RavendraSingh
New Contributor II
just go to this link:- this will not helpful in contouring but you can classify data manually by this software. now i am busy in your solution. soon you will get in it. please try once
LidarViewer

LasTools is ok for contouring and making shape files.
0 Kudos