Genneral ArcObjects Project Organization Question

04-06-2012 08:22 AM
CraigMacholz
New Contributor
Guys,

I have business need to create a custom editing functionality very similar to this sample project "..ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.0\Samples\ArcObjectsNet\AddInEditorExtension\VBNet" In addition, I'll have a business need to create a stand-alone ArcEngine applicaiton what also used the same "Editor Extension" functionality. I know I could create an "Add-in" for ArcMAP AND a ArcEngine Stand-alone application to meet the business needs, but what would be the best way to organize the code so it don't rewrite the same functionality twice?

Can I use a custom "Add-in" in a ArcEngine stand-alone application? If you have a better way, please educate me! Thanks.

ArcGIS 10.0
p.s. Sorry if this post is in the wrong thread. I'm a little new to this.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffMatson
Occasional Contributor III
I'm not aware of a way to use an Add-In with ArcEngine.

Typically you can create custom tools or commands that can be used with either ArcMap or ArcEngine, but in the case of editing, the IEditor class is only available for ArcGIS Desktop, and there is a separate class called IEngineEditor for use in ArcEngine. You're probably better off keeping the code separate for any edit functionality, but you could probably build several common classes that can be used for either environment so long as all the arcObjects used within them are available in both Desktop and Engine.

Hope that helps

Guys,

I have business need to create a custom editing functionality very similar to this sample project "..ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.0\Samples\ArcObjectsNet\AddInEditorExtension\VBNet" In addition, I'll have a business need to create a stand-alone ArcEngine applicaiton what also used the same "Editor Extension" functionality. I know I could create an "Add-in" for ArcMAP AND a ArcEngine Stand-alone application to meet the business needs, but what would be the best way to organize the code so it don't rewrite the same functionality twice?

Can I use a custom "Add-in" in a ArcEngine stand-alone application? If you have a better way, please educate me! Thanks.

ArcGIS 10.0
p.s. Sorry if this post is in the wrong thread. I'm a little new to this.
0 Kudos
CraigMacholz
New Contributor
Thanks,

For additional info: "The fact that the interfaces are not shared between ArcGIS Engine and ArcGIS Desktop makes it difficult to create individual components that work in both types of applications. You should maintain separate classes but share program logic in helper classes where appropriate."

http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#/ArcGIS_Engine_editing/0...

This is what I was looking for. Thank again.
0 Kudos