Help with Python Script for Viewshed Analysis

04-05-2012 04:33 PM
CraigKumpel
New Contributor
Hi,

I am taking a GIS course for my graduate degree.  I understand the GIS program somewhat, but have no idea when it comes to python scripting.  For my final project, I am trying to do a outdoor lighting analysis of our campus.  I have all the data necessary.  I have set offseta for each observation point in my lamppost layer and they have elevations.  I have created a raster from a njdep dem and I merged the campus buildings into the raster so that they block the view of the lights when a viewshed analysis is done.  I have tried doing a viewshed analysis on all of the points as a whole but it will not give the correct output.  I have done a couple points individually and found that my raster and all my data is working correctly.  My question is, is there a script out there that will run through all the points in my lamp post layer individually and do a viewshed analysis on them?  If there isnt, could someone assist me in writing one?  Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Craig
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Here is a forum post that describes a model that should generate the multiple viewsheds.  Be sure that if you are using the Viewshed you add all the necessary fields if you want to affect the elevation of the lamp post. So if you want the viewshed to reflect the top of the post use the OFFSETA field.
0 Kudos
CraigKumpel
New Contributor
Thank you, I will be working on this today.  Hopefully I can get it to work.
0 Kudos