IDW doesn't work on my arcgis demo 10 (merged threads)

04-05-2012 10:05 AM
GiacomoRossi
New Contributor
Hello, I've installed on my notebook the ArcGis 10 demo version, and I need the IDW tool to make an interpolation analysis for my G.I.S. master thesis that I've to finish as soon as possible. Unfortunately, the IDW doesn't work for any of point data I have. Only the first I manage to create. It is not specified also which kind of error it is done:

Can you help me, please?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
To better understand the problem could you please provide me with a copy of your input data, the interpolation parameters (i.e. a screenshot of the filled out dialog).
If you do not want to post it on the Forum you can email me (slynch@esri.com)

Thanks
Steve
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Set your workspaces to folders that don't contain spaces, yours do.  Save the work outside of a geodatabase as well for now.
0 Kudos
GiacomoRossi
New Contributor
I attacched 3 images of my idw errors, where there is the whole description divided in three parts, because one it's not enough to let you read everything. I hope it will let understand it.
Thank you
0 Kudos
GiacomoRossi
New Contributor
Set your workspaces to folders that don't contain spaces, yours do.  Save the work outside of a geodatabase as well for now.

I don't understand what you mean, where my folders contain spaces? Give me an example, please. My job is not inside a geodb, it's all saved inside a folder called mac2
0 Kudos
GiacomoRossi
New Contributor
Steve Lynch wrote me in an email that the input feature is corrupt, so the IDW tool fails the analysis. I believe that it is subjected to the corruption when the IDW tool is running, because before I manage to open it in Arcmap...so what can I do to avoid the corruption? It's really annoying, the corruption is fault of the software and I can't do anything to prevent it. This is the screenshot that appears:

I will write it also in the geoprocessing section of the forum because I need to solve it as soon as possible, although I understand everybody has to solve his own trouble
0 Kudos
GiacomoRossi
New Contributor
Hello,
I sent to the geoprocessing team my problem

Can somebody answer, please, because I am falling behind with my job because this trouble.
Thanks
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Giacomo

Please contact your local distributor or Esri Support.

Also try turning off "background processing", this can be done via Geoprocessing -> Geoprocessing options and then uncheck the background processing option.

The reason I suggested that your data are corrupt is based on the fact that I (nor you) could open the point feature class that you provided me.

Steve
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
If those are the points you are trying to do an IDW on, it will never work or even if it does, the results will be meaningless.  Forward your dataset to ESRI for testing.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I agree with Dan - the spatial distribution of your input points is not appropriate for IDW, which works best with more evenly distributed points that do not fall on a line. With all your points on a line like that, you should choose another interpolator that may be more appropriate for your data, for example, Trend.
0 Kudos