Rebuild Composite Geocode Locator?

04-03-2012 05:29 AM
StevenMenefee1
New Contributor II
I have a composite geocode locator that I am using a geocode service in ArcGIS Server.  It is referencing two other geocoding locators (using roads and address points).  I've read in the ESRI Help that you cannot rebuild composite locators...which makes sense to me because the composite locator is simply referencing other locators.  Does this mean if I rebuild the two locators that the composite is looking at then I don't need to do anything to the composite?

I'm confused because in the Help it acts like not only do you need to rebuild the locators that the composite is referencing but you also need to create the composite locator again.  It seems to me that if the composite is already setup and is just looking at the underlying locators there should be no need to rebuild it.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
[/HR]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Does anyone from ESRI have any feedback on this issue?

I am interested because in 9.3.1 I use a Composite Address Locator style that I am able to rebuild with RebuildAddressLocator_geocoding with python 2.6 from ArcGIS v10.0, so I am curious if an actual Composite Locator that I create in v10.0 will not get rebuilt with this function in python.

Are there any general Rebuild issues in v10.0 besides the Composite Locator as I get this error with a Single Field locator?

ERROR 000005: Could not open the address locator.
Failed to execute (RebuildAddressLocator).

Any help or hints regarding this issue are greatly appeciated.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
RL
by
New Contributor II
Did you guys figure this out?  I am trying to refresh my composite geocoding service published on Server 10.1.  I can't find any good document on how it is done. Thanks!
0 Kudos
DaniellaHerrera1
New Contributor II

Once you Rebuild the locators that the Composite is reading the Composite will update as well. Like you said the Composite is reading to the other locators.

BrunoBlanco
New Contributor II

Can we get confirmation from Esri staff? I'm thinking about automating the process of updating our address locators and I'd rather not have to create a new composite address locator every time I do so.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

You only need to rebuild the individual locators that comprise the composite address locator.  You will need to stop the composite address locator to remove locks.  The are some python script examples on the geonet that you should be able to find with a keyword search.  Hope this helps.

ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

The workflows in the following topic should help in keeping your locators and services updated.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/keep-your-locator-up-to-date.htm