Drawing non-embedded SVG symbol on a Web Map

03-19-2012 08:14 AM
JimLilly
New Contributor
I would like to draw my own custom SVG images to an ArcGIS based web map using the ESRI Javascript API. They are not embedded SVG's in HTML but are dynamically provided to me by a custom symbol server. I have tried plotting an SVG to a graphics layer using a PictureMarkerSymbol and also just using a Graphic but have been unable to get my custom SVG's to plot. ESRI's points, lines, polygons, etc. are great but are not the symbols that I need in this case. I have plotted other custom single point symbols to my web map using png's; but I would like to plot more complex symbols using SVG's. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
HemingZhu
Occasional Contributor III
I would like to draw my own custom SVG images to an ArcGIS based web map using the ESRI Javascript API. They are not embedded SVG's in HTML but are dynamically provided to me by a custom symbol server. I have tried plotting an SVG to a graphics layer using a PictureMarkerSymbol and also just using a Graphic but have been unable to get my custom SVG's to plot. ESRI's points, lines, polygons, etc. are great but are not the symbols that I need in this case. I have plotted other custom single point symbols to my web map using png's; but I would like to plot more complex symbols using SVG's. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you talking about using .svg as the source of PictureMarkerSymbol or any allowed SVG vector graphics (png, jpg etc)?
0 Kudos
JimLilly
New Contributor
I am talking about using an .svg as the source. I want to be able to draw some complicated vector graphics that the ESRI point, line, polygons, etc. do not provide me. I would like to use svg's that I build via a symbol server that I have developed. I just cannot figure out how to plot an .svg directly to an arcgis web map (graphics layer) with the current ESRI javascript API.
0 Kudos
HemingZhu
Occasional Contributor III
I am talking about using an .svg as the source. I want to be able to draw some complicated vector graphics that the ESRI point, line, polygons, etc. do not provide me. I would like to use svg's that I build via a symbol server that I have developed. I just cannot figure out how to plot an .svg directly to an arcgis web map (graphics layer) with the current ESRI javascript API.

I did a POC a couple of weeks back where I upload a image file (through file input html element) as the source of picture marker symbol. I tried .svg file and it did not work. Maybe ESRI JSAPI team member could help us with this.
0 Kudos
hcgis
by
New Contributor III
Hi all,
is there a solution for this
0 Kudos