Error "The number of points is less than required for feature"

03-14-2012 05:43 PM
YishengPan
New Contributor
I am new to ArcGIS. This is my first time to try to create my own schematics diagram from my SQL Server database.  I first set up the equipment and connectivity data in the database tables and then try to follow this tutorial "Exercise 6: Quick-start guide for configuring the Standard builder to operate from custom queries" in ArcMap 10 Help. When I try to create the inside plant diagram, I got this error "The number of points is less than required for feature" 7 times (I happen to have 7 pipe objects to connect all equipment and junctions together) and this error "DBMS table not found[Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0: Invalid object name 'dso_geodb.dbo.PumpPlantTemplate_E49_1_Equipment'] [dso_geodb.dbo.PumpPlantTemplate_E49_1_Equipment][STATE_ID=0]. How to fix this problem?

Is there a tutorial for creating schematics diagrams from scratch, including set up the database tables, schematics dataset and templates, etc? It seems there are a lot to learn.

BTW, I am using Version 10 for evaluation. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III
There is an issue in 10 with SDE databases.  It is 'invalid geometry' to have a link that has no distance (i.e. the end nodes at the same XY location).  Since this is a 'custom query' type of diagram from non-spatial data, you have this case.  So simply modify the dataset configuration and have your diagram template automatically apply a layout algorithm like 'Spatial Dispatch'.  This allows schematics to move those overlapping nodes just a little bit before trying to store the geometry of the links in SDE.  This has been resolved automatically if you are on a 10.1 client.

There is a complete example tutorial in the resource system:
http://resourcesbeta.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Exercise_6_Quick_start_guide_for_confi...
0 Kudos