GraphicsLayer not updating in Internet Explorer

Jump to solution
03-14-2012 07:28 AM
SarahBurgin
New Contributor
I'm experiencing a new problem with a ArcGIS for Flex application and hope that someone here can help. My application uses the latest ArcGIS for Flex version and the testing uses browsers that have Flash Player 11.1 installed.

I have a number of FeatureLayers and GraphicsLayers that are created dynamically using ActionScript. Graphics are initially created and added dynamically to my GraphicsLayers and can be seen, as expected, by the user. That seems to work fine. However, a short time later, I'm redrawing the content by calling the "clear()" method on the GraphicsLayers and adding the replacement Graphics in the same way as before. Our aim is to provide graphics that change over time. This is working fine when Google Chrome is used as the browser; unfortunately, though, it seems that if the user is running Internet Explorer then they don't see anything change and remain looking at the "old" set of Graphics. Instead, using this browser, the display will update if the user pans or zooms the map, but not if they simply leave it alone. Can anyone suggest what the problem is when using IE and how it may be fixed, please?

An even more perplexing detail of the problem, is that I manually change the URL of my FeatureLayers in response to some user actions and find that doing this causes the GraphicsLayers to switch between showing different "old" sets of Graphics, even though there's no intentional link between the layers. I have no idea what mechanism is causing this to happen!

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IvanBespalov
Occasional Contributor III
Sarah,

This tested with IE8 and IE9 (Flash player versions 10.3 & 11.1) - no issues detected.

disableClientCaching
If true, adds a timestamp parameter ("_ts") to the REST request to prevent the request from being loaded from the browser's cache.

refresh
Causes the layer to redraw or reload its content.

Show your code.

P.S. Adobe flash player bugs base.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IvanBespalov
Occasional Contributor III
Sarah,

This tested with IE8 and IE9 (Flash player versions 10.3 & 11.1) - no issues detected.

disableClientCaching
If true, adds a timestamp parameter ("_ts") to the REST request to prevent the request from being loaded from the browser's cache.

refresh
Causes the layer to redraw or reload its content.

Show your code.

P.S. Adobe flash player bugs base.
0 Kudos
SarahBurgin
New Contributor
My layers with visible content are GraphicsLayers but the periodic updates are driven from sets of FeatureLayers (by calling the refresh method on those layers), so your advice to change disableClientCaching has worked - thanks!
0 Kudos