AnsweredAssumed Answered

[ArcEngine] [DotNet] How to load .hgt files into a dataset and then elevation layer

Question asked by Adjutant on Mar 13, 2012
Latest reply on Mar 13, 2012 by Adjutant
Hi,

Despite some significant time spent searching documentation and reading the ArcGIS online help and forums I still can't find a solution for this.
This thread is a child of : http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/52661-DotNet-Is-it-possible-to-create-an-elevation-Profile-layer-using-Arc-Engine

The objective is to create a dataset from a folder containing .HGT files (SRTM data) programatically, and then to create an elevation layer from the dataset .
Is this possible for ArcEngine?

The closest documentation example I have found only refers to .gdb data file under the topic "How to open a terrain dataset" :
IWorkspaceFactory WSFact = new FileGDBWorkspaceFactoryClass(); IFeatureWorkspace FWS; FWS = WSFact.OpenFromFile("C:\\project\\terrain.gdb", 0)as IFeatureWorkspace;

I have tried working with IRasterDataset in a similar manner to opening raster maps but this is obviously not the correct interface to read elevation data?

What namespace must be used to read .hgt files from a file folder (with the intention of creating an elevation layer later)?
Thanks.

UPDATE [1] : Having a look at the Visual Studio DotNet "Map Control Application" Template, the add data dialog provides for 5 different types of data
1) Shape files
2) GeoDatabases
3) Rasters
4) Servers
5) Layers
but these options do not include support for SRTM data - is there a sample / template available which describes how SRTM data can be imported?

Outcomes