Error: Unable to access Reviewer Session. Unable to deserialize Session xml

Jump to solution
03-08-2012 09:59 AM
ScottLampley
New Contributor III
When trying to open ANY data reviewer session I get the following error:

Open Reviewer Session Error: Unable to access Reviewer Session. Unable to deserialize Session xml

I found this relating topic;
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/32162-Reviewer-Session-Unable-to-deserialize-Session-xml

I am running ArcMap 10.0 sp3 (x64)
I cannot locate ArcGIS\bin\XmlSupport.dat of find any information on repairing the PLTS Foundation as mentioned in the topic I included above.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottLampley
New Contributor III
reading you post above it sounded like i needed to reinstall all the addon's after the arcmap install ... i had just reinstaleed arcmap but had not reinstalled all the addon's (production mapping, aero solutionsm etc) - after a reinstall of all the addons my data reviewer is working - thank you for your help!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor
Please answer the following:

1. What is the OS of the machine?

2. Did this machine have a previous version of PLTS 9.x installed?

3. Is PLTS 9.x still installed?

4. Do you have Esri Production Mapping 10 or ArcGIS Data Reviewer 10 installed?

5. What is the build number for Esri Production Mapping 10 or ArcGIS Data Reviewer 10? Have you applied any service packs?

6. What is the install location for Esri Production Mapping 10 or ArcGIS Data Reviewer 10?

7. The default location for the XmlSupport.dat is C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Bin. Can you please zip up and attach the XmlSupport.dat?

8. Your Reviewer workspace is what type of workspace (e.g. personal, file, SDE)?

9. Is ArcGIS Data Reviewer being accessed through ArcMap that was launched through WMX?
0 Kudos
ScottLampley
New Contributor III

1. What is the OS of the machine?
windows 7 pro (x64)

2. Did this machine have a previous version of PLTS 9.x installed?
no - first load of arc products were all version 10

3. Is PLTS 9.x still installed?
n/a

4. Do you have Esri Production Mapping 10 or ArcGIS Data Reviewer 10 installed?
Esri Production Mapping 10 - yes
ArcGIS Data Reviewer - it wasn't a seperate install BUT I use data reviewer in ArcMap and ArcGIS Data Reviewer 10 is installed

5. What is the build number for Esri Production Mapping 10 or ArcGIS Data Reviewer 10? Have you applied any service packs?
Production Mapping 10: 10.00.23.00 BN:961
Data Reveiwer 10: 10.00.23.00 BN:961

I have applied Production Mapping service pack 2, patch 1,2 and 3
I have applied ArcGIS 10 Service Pack 3

6. What is the install location for Esri Production Mapping 10 or ArcGIS Data Reviewer 10?
unsure - perhaps C:\Program Files (x86)\ESRIProductionMapping

7. The default location for the XmlSupport.dat is C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Bin. Can you please zip up and attach the XmlSupport.dat?
attached

8. Your Reviewer workspace is what type of workspace (e.g. personal, file, SDE)?
in this case it is (they are) file GDB's

9. Is ArcGIS Data Reviewer being accessed through ArcMap that was launched through WMX?

accessed through ArcMap (but we are not currently using WMX)
0 Kudos
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor
Thank you for answering my questions and attaching the XmlSupport.dat file.

Your XmlSupport.dat is missing some Reviewer feature entries. The missing entries are preventing you from accessing your Reviewer Session. Reviewer feature entries are copied to the XmlSupport.dat file during the install of Esri Production Mapping.

1. Did you encounter an errors or message dialogs (e.g. Program Compatibility Assistant dialog) during the install of Esri Production Mapping 10?

2. Because you are on a Windows 7 machine, did you install Esri Production Mapping 10 with 'Run as administrator' from the context menu. Open Windows Explorer, navigate to and right-click on the setup.exe for Esri Production Mapping 10 and select 'Run as administrator' from the context menu.

3. When you installed Esri Production Mapping 10 on your Windows 7 machine, did you set User Account Control (UAC) to 'Never notify'?

4. When you installed Esri Production Mapping 10, was ArcMap or ArcCatalog or some other Esri application open accessing the XmlSupport.dat file?

To resolve your issue, please try the following:

1. Uninstall any Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) 10 software (e.g. Esri Aeronautical Solution, Esri Defense Mapping, Esri Nautical Solution).

2. Uninstall Esri Production Mapping 10.

3. Follow recommendations 2-4 above and re-install Esri Production Mapping 10.  Please make sure that you exit all Esri software before you install Esri Production Mapping 10. What happens?
0 Kudos
ScottLampley
New Contributor III
reading you post above it sounded like i needed to reinstall all the addon's after the arcmap install ... i had just reinstaleed arcmap but had not reinstalled all the addon's (production mapping, aero solutionsm etc) - after a reinstall of all the addons my data reviewer is working - thank you for your help!
0 Kudos