advres

Spatial Analyst Math and Interpolation - 30 crashes and counting.

Discussion created by advres on Feb 29, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 by Dan_Patterson
ArcGIS Desktop has unexpectedly closed due to a severe application error. Ya don't say?  Well after the 30th time this happened I have given up.  Short of uninstalling the cumbersome program I transferred my files to a different location on my computer, built multiple new geodatabases, change the file names, went and did yoga.  Blah blah blah.

So what am I doing?

1. Spline with barriers from well point data, area 200km2 plus for processing extent.
2. Times in the Math toolbox by 10
3. Int function
4. Reclassify function (get rid of negative values)
5. Float function (change grid cell type)
6. Divide function (Return to correct decimal place of values derived from Spline, but now without any negatives)

So at any point in these six steps ArcGIS desktop crashes due to a "serious application error"  Typically it only occurs after the spline function.  All output files are saved directly to a file geodatabase.  What bothers me is that I have been doing the same series of steps for this type of analysis for more than 2 years and never have I had this much trouble with it quitting.  I'll Arc the benefit of the doubt when it crashes once or twice, to be expected...

I have also noticed that after the application ends, in my task manager the slue of ArcSOCP.exe and ArcSOMP.exe's continue to run eating up a whole lot of space.  Whats up with that? ArcGIS isn't even running anymore or is it....

Be pretty cool if someone could tell me what the **** is going on.

Cheers,

Nick

Outcomes