Addin to Desktop Target version implications

02-06-2012 06:57 AM
SamLitschert
New Contributor
Hi all,

I'm writing an Addin (that will be distributed) for ArcMap in VB.net and in the Config.esriaddinx, the Target name = Desktop and version = 10.0. Can someone tell me about the implications of this as I have not got a test computer:
If a user loads 10.1, will the Addin still be automatically included and work? Would I need to have a different version of the Addin config file with version = 10.1?

Conversely, supposing I wanted the Addin only to work for users with 10.0, not to work in 10.1, and I wanted to distribute a different version for 10.1 - how would I accomplish that?

Thanks,
Sam
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnHauck
Occasional Contributor II
Add-Ins targeting previous versions of ArcGIS will automatically load in newer releases, there is no need to rebuild or reinstall them. For example, ArcGIS 10.1 will automatically discover and load add-ins from the 10.0 well-known folder location(C:\Users\<username>\Documents\ArcGIS\AddIns\Desktop10.0).

I'm not sure about the developer being able to prevent add-in clients from loading into a new release, I'll look into this.
0 Kudos
SamLitschert
New Contributor
John,

Thanks for the first part - I look forward to hearing the answer to the second part!

Sam
0 Kudos