Tracing Lines

01-27-2012 02:28 PM
StefanCoe
New Contributor II
All of my development experience with ArcServer has been with the Web ADF and since ESRI is dropping it at 10.1, I am thinking that I'll be switching over to the JavaScript API. Our next project will be a web application that allow users to digitize & submit potential transportation projects, which are represented as polylines. These polylines need to sit, topologically speaking, on top of our network, as they will eventually be used to update our base network in our Travel Demand Model (e.g. add a lane to a section of highway). While we consider this a network, we are not using a network data set or network analyst.

So I am wondering, without using Network analyst, is there a way for a user to click on the network and trace the project route on the underlying transportation line work, and the click again when finished, resulting in a polyline that shares the same vertices as the line work underneath. If not, I imagine it would be pretty easy for the user to select the portions of the network that make up their project and create a new polyline from those selected line features. Is this the case? Many thanks!

-Stefan
0 Kudos
3 Replies
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Welcome!

What you're asking for should be able to be accomplished using the snapping manager. One of the measurement widget samples uses the snapping manager. Snapping can be used in conjunction with the editor.
0 Kudos
StefanCoe
New Contributor II
Thanks! That seems like it should work. 😮

Stefan
0 Kudos
mykLT
by
New Contributor II
Derek,

snapping manager just snaps to vertices. I think, that Stefan really wanted different kind of functionality.

Aren't You (ESRI) planning to implement real tracing of geometries, like in ArcGIS Desktop or even in Open Layers ( http://gaganb.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/trace-along-featue-in-openlayers/ )?. If yes, then when?
0 Kudos