how to put the add data tool in model builder

04-26-2010 07:51 AM
CherylDawson
New Contributor
I did searches on this to no avail, so apologies if it's already been mentioned.

I'm building a model to automate breaking down CAD drawings via 'select by attribute' to add to my map as separate layers. How do you use the 'add data' tool inside of a model? I would sure like to automate this process.

amy

I got the answer - simply right-click the output shapefile in the model builder and 'add to display' automatically adds it to my map. btw, sorry for posting in the wrong forum - I'm new 😉
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ToreBorvik
New Contributor III
if you run a model you made from arctoolbox, in most cases you must also set the stuff you want to display in table as contents as parameter as well as "add to display". If you run it inside modelbuilder it does not have to be a parameter
CherylDawson
New Contributor
if you run a model you made from arctoolbox, in most cases you must also set the stuff you want to display in table as contents as parameter as well as "add to display". If you run it inside modelbuilder it does not have to be a parameter

Do you mean I need to check the 'model parameter' item?
Another thing, I'm not sure what happened. I changed the input object to a list of inputs and outputs and  'add to display' item is checked for the output, yet nothing is added to the TOC.

any suggestions?
0 Kudos
ToreBorvik
New Contributor III
At least for me, outputs you want to add to display must BOTH be set as "add to display" and "parameter", when you run it through arctoolbox
0 Kudos
RyanAnderson8
New Contributor

I don't think this answers the original question of adding "add data" as a TOOL.

"Add to display" would only work for Outputs like shapefiles. 

I want 'add data' as a tool/process, so it can take the %value% (hyperlink) from another process (get field value) and add the referenced document to the map.

To elaborate, I have a shapefile of polygons which contain hyperlinks to raster images in one of their fields. I want to select one of these polygons, then have the model follow the hyperlink, add that raster image to the map, and then, apply a particular symbology to that new layer.

(I'm new too, so sorry for rambling