There is no disk in the drive. Why?

01-25-2012 06:02 AM
BrianCryer
New Contributor
I am just starting with ArcObjects SDK. Using C# in Visual Studio 2010. I've been looking at some of the examples and starting to play with putting my own together.

Something which has been plaguing me is the message:

devenv.exe - No Disk
  (x) There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive D:.
  [Cancel]  [Try Again]  [Continue]

This happens when I try to run or when I finish running an application. I'm 99% sure this is ArcObjects related because it doesn't happen with any of my other applications, and when I started a new blank (WinForms) application it was fine until I dropped an ArcGIS LicenseControl onto the form. Then the annoying message started appearing. I also get this with some of the provided samples. I'm assuming this something to do with my installation, any ideas?

😧 is my CD/DVD drive. C: and E: are real drives. I installed it from a virtual drive J:.
Using Process Monitor the file it is trying to look for on 😧 is "D:\ArcGIS\DotNet\ESRI.ArcGIS.System.pdb"
(It looks first in the GAC, then 😧 then C:\Windows before giving up and not finding it.)

A work around is to put a CD into the 😧 drive, but this is far from ideal.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BrianCryer
New Contributor
I have a work around, but not a complete resolution. The work around is to tell Visual Studio not to load the debug symbols for the corresponding dll.

So, given that in my minimal example it was looking for "D:\ArcGIS\DotNet\ESRI.ArcGIS.System.pdb" then in Visual Studio 2010:

Tools > Options ...
  Debugging > Symbols
  I have "All modules unless excluded" selected, so click on "Specify excluded modules" and add "ESRI.ArcGIS.System.dll". Note its .dll as its the name of the library file which is entered here not the .pdb file.

(Use ProcessMonitor to identify which .pdb its looking for.)

For "real" projects I've now got over a dozen ESRI libraries excluded in this way.

I still don't know WHY its trying to load a .pdb file for these ESRI dlls from my CD/DVD drive, hence why this is a work around and not a resolution to the problem. Still, I hope it is useful to anyone else who hits the same problem.
0 Kudos
SueBreeden
New Contributor
I know this is an old post, but I have just recently ran into this issue myself. I have developed a custom .Net Desktop Windows Form Application in VS 2010. The culprit for me was a Visual Basic PowerPack element I had added to my form. I was using a Rectangle Shape as a divider. Once I deleted this element I no longer had the error when I debugged my project. I used a label instead for my divider. This may not always be the case for everyone's project, but it solved my problem.
0 Kudos