Near (Analysis) Tool

01-25-2012 04:46 AM
MarthaSnyderwine
New Contributor
Hello!  Every time I try to launch the Near (Analysis) tool either from Model Builder or the search window I get the following  warnings:  "Unable to execute the selected tool.  You do not have the necessary license to execute the selected tool...Adding this item is not supported or the application that opens it is not found."  I reviewed the ArcGIS help and it states " Use limitations  There are no access and use limitations for this item." 

I've verified my extensions are selected. 

I've also tried running Near Analysis with the 3D tool but this causes an empty script error window (ArcMap Not Responding) to appear which forces me to shutdown completely. I lose all my work and must re-start.

I've also verified my license status. I'm running ArcGIS 10.0 SP3.

What else could I try to get this working?

Thank you,
Martha
0 Kudos
3 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Martha,

The Near tool is only available with an ArcInfo license for Desktop.  There are 3 licenses: ArcView, ArcEditor, and ArcInfo.  Your post doesn't say which one you have, but that is the proper message if you indeed don't have an ArcInfo license.  The Near 3D tool will of course require a license for 3D Analyst regardless of your license for ArcGIS Desktop.  Every geoprocessing tool shows you the required license level in the documentation.

Best Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
MarthaSnyderwine
New Contributor
Eric,
Hello! Thanks for your response.  When I read the Near (Analysis) Item Description I don't see anything about ArcView and ArcInfo.  I do have the 3D Analyst extension and I'm still having the same error.  And yes, I am an ArcView user but I'm investigating getting upgraded to ArcInfo.

Thanks, Martha
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Check this link for 3D Analyst's Near
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00q900000005000000
The extension must be enabled in order to use it (Customize | Extensions)
0 Kudos