fallingdog

general development questions - gps app

Discussion created by fallingdog on Jan 23, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2012 by agup-esristaff
I'm very new to android development.  But have been using arcGIS in school for a year or so.  I would like to make a android app for my senior project.  The idea for the project is this: build an app that will show one's location on a map be it on a road or path for a local park system.  I would like the GPS location displayed to the user to "snap" to the nearest path if it is in say 10m of the path to help hide the inaccuracies in the GPS.  I would also like to be able to place notification icons on the map, e.g. path condition, that could be updated.  Also ultimately I would like the user to be able to upload photos and text, but this would be secondary to the main goals.  All of the shapefiles that I will need are available for download off the cities website.  So originally I was thinking that by using google map view I could overlay the needed shapefiles as a KML file.  But I looks like ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android may be much better way to do it.  Any input would be much appreciated.

Outcomes