Creating a Depressionless DEM - Finding Sink Depth Problem

01-21-2012 01:11 PM
JohnKerkering1
New Contributor III
Hello,

My DEM (SRTM 90m) has sinks, as made clear by the output of the Flow Direction and Sink tools. I can fill these sinks with the Fill tool with no problem.

But I wanted to take a more precise approach by following the "Finding Sink Depth" process as outlined on the page, "Creating a Depressionless DEM". I followed each of the 5 steps outlined and determined that the maximum sink depth was 33 meters, as the output of the Minus tool ranged from 1 to 33.

I ran the Fill tool on the original DEM and specified a z-limit of 33 and then ran Flow Direction on this output. The Flow Direction output was the same as the Flow Direction output from the original, un-filled DEM. In other words, the "Finding Sink Depth" approach didn't work, unless I missed a step or made a mistake somewhere in there.

Anyone encounter a similar problem? Any thoughts or guidance would be most welcome.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
CharlesMorton
New Contributor II
Were you able to resolve this issue?  I am having problems with the Fill tool not changing values, but only when I set a z-limit value.  Your issue may be related to this.
Charles
0 Kudos
WesKing
New Contributor
I believe this is still a bug that hasn't been fixed yet (at least the last I looked).  See this thread...

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/31888-Hydrology-Flow-Direction-tool-output-quot-incorrect-quot-when...

Wes
0 Kudos
PavanYadav
Esri Contributor
I believe this is still a bug that hasn't been fixed yet (at least the last I looked).  See this thread...

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/31888-Hydrology-Flow-Direction-tool-output-quot-incorrect-quot-when...

Wes

Hi All,
I have posted a comment on the above forum thread. In the above thread there is a discussion on a known bug (bug ID NIM069368). A fix for this bug is in our Service Pack 4 target list. SP 4 is planned to be available next month (March, 2012).

Thank you.
Pavan
0 Kudos
IlanHavinga
New Contributor

Hi Pavan,

Was this issue resolved? It appears I am having the same issue using ArcMap 10.5.1. Applying the maximum depth figure from the MINUS tool output as the z value in the Fill function only produces the same as running the Fill tool without it.

Thanks,

Ilan

0 Kudos