AnsweredAssumed Answered

FeatureClassToGeodatabase creating output with incorrect feature class name

Question asked by ppanza on Jan 13, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 by abenvin03
I am currently writing some scripts to pull data down from an SDE and store it locally in a file GDB, with some fun little tweaks to "check-in" recent local edits to the feature class into the latest SDE version of the file.  Everything should be fairly straightforward, as designed, but I've hit a snag very early in the process with the FeatureClassToGeodatabase_conversion results.  The resulting feature class in the file GDB is always named "GPL0" instead of its original name!!  Does anybody know why this is happening?

I've tried this three ways:

1. exporting from a layer located in an MXD.  This layer points to the original SDE dataset.  Result: feature class is successfully imported into the local file GDB but the feature class name is always "GPL0" instead of its original name.
2. exporting from a lyr file stored locally.  This lyr file points to the original SDE dataset.  Result: feature class is successfully imported into the local file GDB but the feature class name is always "GPL0" instead of its original name.
3. exporting from a SHP file stored locally.  This SHP file was created by simple ArcMap export from the original SDE dataset.  Result: feature class is successfully exported into the local file GBD maintaining its original name.

Here is my problem...option 3 doesn't work for me, because creating the SHP file truncates a lot of important field names.  Obviously the issue lies in exporting SDE data directly, but I don't see any way in the FeatureClassToGeodatabase process to specify a name.  I can make the assumption that the export will always be named "GPL0" and then throw a Rename into the script to get it back to the original name, but that's messy and since I don't know WHY this "GPL0" stuff is happening, I can't rely on it happening forever.  Any help would be appreciated!

Here is the code for each method I've tried:

Option 1 (layer in MXD as source)
import arcpy from arcpy import mapping  # set location of MXD which contains layer to be exported ExportBase = r"P:\filepath\ExportBase.mxd"  # set export process variables mxd = mapping.MapDocument(ExportBase) sourceLyr = mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "data_from_SDE") outLocation = r"P:\filepath\sampleGDB.gdb"  # execute export SDE layer from MXD to GDB arcpy.FeatureClassToGeodatabase_conversion(sourceLyr, outLocation)


Option 2 (lyr file pointing to SDE data as source)
import arcpy from arcpy import mapping  # set export process variables sourceLyr = mapping.Layer(r"P:\filepath\sampleLYR.lyr) outLocation = r"P:\filepath\sampleGDB.gdb"  # execute export lyr file to GDB arcpy.FeatureClassToGeodatabase_conversion(sourceLyr, outLocation)



Option 3 (SHP file as source)
import arcpy  # set export process variables sourceLyr = r"C:\filepath\features.shp" outLocation = r"C:\filepath\sampleGDB.gdb"  # execute export layer from SHP to GDB arcpy.FeatureClassToGeodatabase_conversion(sourceLyr, outLocation)

Outcomes