Snyderwine

Service Area analysis streets layer options?

Discussion created by Snyderwine on Jan 12, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 30, 2012 by Snyderwine
Hi!  Could use some advice here.  This is my first cut at Network Analysis (NA).  I need streets for VA, MD, DC, DE, WV, and PA states to generate service areas in increments of 30minutes.  I've been able to generate the service areas when I use the TIGER roads shapefiles for just the primary and secondary roads.  Not surprisingly I get a very coarse result, but at least it works.  I've done this for the VA, MD, and DC layers with my locations. 

To improve the accuracy and realism, I've downloaded the North America Detailed Streets available here:  http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=f38b87cc295541fb88513d1ed7cec9fd.  This layer has 40million plus records.  I exported out the states of interest and still have a pretty large set of 1.5million.  Every time I try to create a network dataset it runs for over 30 minutes and then I end up forcing it closed.  I did succeed by creating an even smaller subset of roads, less than 500,000 but this network dataset is to small, since I need to create service areas by 30minute increments. 

What am I doing wrong here?  I've tried looking at the lengths of the North America Detailed Streets and they are remarkably short, hundredths of meters.  Should I re-install this data? 

Is it possible to get a trial of StreetMap and experiment with that? Or is this the same as the layer I'm working with?  Will I still have the "slow" problems since I expect this is a very large set of records as well.  I've looked into the Open Street Map (OSM) data and that's quite a firehose of data as well at the state level. 

I am an ArcMap 10.0 user with SP3.

Thanks, Marti

Outcomes