Building Footprint Drop Shadow

01-11-2012 04:02 AM
MichalBrach
New Contributor
Don't you thing it is better to duplicate buildings in order to create building footprint drop shadow?
When I'm working with representation for building footprint drop shadow I can observe that when I change the map scale, offset value for shadow is changing also. Representation doesn't react on reference scale. I think it is not nice effect when shadow for buildings increase to much.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ESRI_DBServices
New Contributor III
Our Community Maps templates don't use the data frame properties reference scale. We define the scale ranges in the group layer properties. Are you doing the same in your MXD? I haven't noticed anything like what you're describing with the building dropshadows.
0 Kudos
MichalBrach
New Contributor
The print screen you can see below bases on Campus Template for Redlands. As you can see I change the scale only for level 17. There is drop shadow for buildings which is not stable and it changes a little bit when I change the scale.

Here is for scale 1:2501
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11221[/ATTACH]

Here is for scale 1:5000
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11222[/ATTACH]

I think it is because the offset of shadow is calculated in points related to screen resolution. So the question is if this is correct method?
If we use constant offset for buildings drop shadow (eg. copy of buildings -> edit -> move -> save as drop shadow layer), we could use it in every level without any problems.
Of course it maybe that I greatly exaggerated this small problem 🙂
0 Kudos
ESRI_DBServices
New Contributor III
Yes, I see what you're saying now. However, we've not experienced any noticable issues stemming from this. I've sent your comments to the team who creates our templates, though, so they can consider this issue when they update. Meanwhile perhaps you can adjust the settings in your template to better suit your expectations. (As long as the map caches successfully and the final result maintains the look of the Community Map.)
0 Kudos