jm8360

nearest neighbour using pointdistances in GME

Discussion created by jm8360 on Jan 10, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 by philmorefield
I am trying to measure the shortest distance between each point in one dataset to a second dataset. I have been using pointdistance in GME with the nearest neighbour command.
The output does not give me the nearest neighbour (the points are often almost as far apart as they can get), though the reported distance between the selected points does seem to be correct.

This is my code:

pointdistances(in="J:\BEES\MMR\Staff\Research\Programs\Satellite Tracking\Files for Jess\Raw, distance, speed, HR\85641eastnorth.shp", fld="List", out="J:\BEES\MMR\Staff\Research\Programs\Satellite Tracking\Files for Jess\Raw, distance, speed, HR\cvs85641.csv", in2="J:\BEES\MMR\Staff\Research\Programs\Satellite Tracking\Files for Jess\Raw, distance, speed, HR\even_smaller_pv_coastline_points.shp", fld2="FID",nearest=1, nout="J:\cvs85641nn.txt");

Can anyone let me know if I am doing anything wrong or if they have had similar difficulties?
There are several columns in the shape files and I haven't told GME which ones to use..

Also I am only really interested in the nearest neighbour, not the other distances between points. Is there a way that I can set the first file output (out) to null?

Thank you very much for any help!

Outcomes