Finding Distances Between Assigned Locations

01-04-2012 02:22 PM
BradShore1
New Contributor
I have a Facilities layer that has 368 Locations and I have a Members layer that has 4,371 Locations. Each Member is assigned one of the 368 Locations. I need to calculate the distance between each Member and their corresponding Facility. I know I can set up a relate between the two and load the selections into Closest Facility, but to do that 368 time would be time consuming. Is there an easier way to do this?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
You can use the Route Solver with the ROUTENAME property to solve paths between many pairs of stops with the same "routename". You can read more on ROUTENAME here:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Route_analysis/004700000045000000/

The trick will be to set up the data properly. You can load your 4,371 member points with a unique ID for the route name property. Next you need to load the corresponding 368 locations with the same unique ID. That is, you have to load these as 4,371 points, where your 368 locations are repeating. You could do this with some relates...

You can search these forums for ROUTENAME for more info.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
BradShore1
New Contributor
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the reply. Based on your response, I was able to figure it out. Instead of doing relates, I joined the tables, exported them, and geocoded the new table. Loaded the Members with OID as the ROUTENAME and my new geocoded layer with OID as the ROUTENAME and it worked perfectly!
0 Kudos