One Service used as either Cached or Dynamic

01-02-2012 10:29 PM
ZillaPlace
New Contributor
It may sound odd. But I need to create a map service so that the client apps could decide whether to use it as cached or dynamic. Of course, when the service is used as dynamic, the client app should be able to manipulate individual layers. On the other hand, the static tiles will be returned when the service is as cached.

In my test (AGS10.2, two layers), the service is set as a cached service on the service configuration (ArcCatalog). I could initialize the map service in any of two ways with no problem. However, I wasn't able to turn on/off individual layers even when the map service is initialized as dynamic, where layers seem fused and make no response to the rest request ("Layers - Show:0/1").

I can always create two services, one dynamic and the other cached. Is it possible to create a single map service to serve both ends?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
once a mapservice is cached, you can't toggle the visibility of a layer. An export call to a cached mapservice uses the pre-cooked cached tiles to create an image instead of a full redraw.

if you happen to have access to 10.1 beta2, it should be able to achieve this by enabling dynamicLayers.

Not all Web APIs are caught up with this option right now, but should be by the time 10.1 Final is released.
FYI: ArcMap as a client will not support that at 10.1.
0 Kudos