Set width of polylines in AutoCAD for width of streets?

12-21-2011 03:55 PM
jeffreymorris1
New Contributor II
Is it possible for me to set width of polylines in AutoCAD so that CityEngine can create correct width of streets? For example, if I set the width of a polyline to 6 meters, CityEngine will create a street that is 6 meters wide. If I set the width of a polyline to 9 meters, CityEngine will create a street that is 9 meters wide. If I set the width of a polyline to 12 meters, CityEngine will create a street that is 12 meters wide. If this is not possible, can I use color of polylines or put polylines in layers?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
what I'd try is if it's possible to export your data either as shape file (.shp) or openstreetmap (.osm). you'll have to make sure that the width information is stored as actual attributes of the line segments. how you do this specifically in AutoCAD, sadly I don't know ..

maybe someone else knows this ?

otherwise, what you could try is exporting as dxf, 1 file for each street width. after you have imported them into the workspace and then imported into the scene, you'll have n layers. there, you can set the street widths for all elements in the layers. once this is done, merge all layers into 1 layer and run the clean graph too to merge the graphs. with graphs on different layers, blocks will not be created.

let me know if this helps.
0 Kudos
jeffreymorris1
New Contributor II
I think that merging layers doesn't work - the objects disappear. I tried getting *.OSM files from OpenStreetMap website but there are weird problems with "Y" intersections. Also, there may be two or more lines on top of each other in *.OSM files.
0 Kudos