stephenramirezzz

Layer to KML issues.

Discussion created by stephenramirezzz on Dec 14, 2011
Latest reply on Dec 21, 2011 by khibma-esristaff
I have point data with fairly simple attributes showing address, water usage, etc. I can convert this to kmz fine. I run into problems when I want to create a field that turns into a link once viewed in google maps/earth. I use the field calculator to insert the address into "http://www.maps.google.com/maps?q="address" austin,tx" I use %20 instead of spaces to not break the hyperlink string.

The field looks good in ArcMap and turns out exactly how I want it but when I go to convert using "layer to kml" I receive a windows error during the processing that basically says "Arc SOCP exe" has failed. I have tried exporting the table and re creating the files, still does not work. I know the problem only arises when I have that long hyperlink string field included.

I tried disabling background processing, the file went through, but google earth could not open it, it came up with "parse error..etc"

I tried using google earth pro to process the .shp into kmz instead, but I was having a lot of trouble with the bubbles/tables. I would much prefer to just be able to export it from ArcMap, ready to go into google earth.

I really appreciate any help.

Outcomes