ro09

How to populate field if a polygon is adjacent to another polygon of specific value

Discussion created by ro09 on Dec 13, 2011
Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 by dlee-esristaff
Hi there,

I am working with a cadastre (lot lines) and property data. Attributed to the polygons in this dataset are the years in which the properties last experienced a demolition. What I would like to do in a new field is indicate for each property if there had been a demolition on an adjacent property in the previous year to that property experiencing a demolition. By 'adjacent' I mean a neighboring or touching property.

The end result I am looking for is a boolean value of 1 (yes) a touching/adjacent property was demolished in the previous year and 0 (no) there were no touching/adjacent properties that experienced a demolition in the previous year. So if property 'A' had a demolition in 2005 and adjacent property 'B' had a demolition in 2004, then property 'A' would be given a value of 1 in this new attribute column.

Could anyone please help me with this? I thought of maybe doing a 1m buffer of each property, then constructing a matrix in a database so that each property can be paired up with the buffer of every other property, and then running some sort of an intersect query, but I haven't thought this through too far. I'm wondering if there is an easier way and to do it all in ArGIS 10.

Thank you in advance,

R

Outcomes