basic questions: aerial span, aerial to UG transitions

12-07-2011 04:48 AM
CurtMeyer
New Contributor
Just downloaded the Telecom Model and have read through the Telecom Network Editing Tools End User Guide, and I have a couple questions.
1. I get the modeling of underground (UG) span with the Conduit feature class and conduit geometric network, but I don't see how to model aerial span.
2. I need some guidance, also, on modeling the transition point on a fiber cable between aerial and underground. Will I need to model those points as end points of an aerial cable and an UG cable joined by what...? A FiberInterconnect feature? Can I splice, then, inside the FiberInterconnect with pass-thru splices? Or do I need to place a SpliceClosure feature at the end points and make pass-thru splices?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkReddick
New Contributor III
Hi,

1. I get the modeling of underground (UG) span with the Conduit feature class and conduit geometric network, but I don't see how to model aerial span.

You should also see a "Fiber - Overhead" sub type on the cable. Assuming you are using ArcGIS 10 you should be able to just click the "overhead" template item and that will created a cable designated as overhead.

2. I need some guidance, also, on modeling the transition point on a fiber cable between aerial and underground. Will I need to model those points as end points of an aerial cable and an UG cable joined by what...? A FiberInterconnect feature? Can I splice, then, inside the FiberInterconnect with pass-thru splices? Or do I need to place a SpliceClosure feature at the end points and make pass-thru splices?

Yes, given our fairly simple model at this time, you would need to model the transition as a splice closure location with pass through connectivity. You could also place equipment there as the transition (without a splice closure) if that is actually what you want but i suspect there would not be any in most cases. For now the splice closure with pass through is the way to go.

Hope that answers the questions.
Regards,

mark
0 Kudos
CurtMeyer
New Contributor
Thanks, Mark!
We are currently at 9.3.1.
Yes, I have the aerial and UG subtypes for fiber cable. I had noticed in the Visio diagram of the model that Span was shown as a simple edge feature, and included subtypes 'Aerial' and 'Trench'. However, in the TelecomDataset I did not find a feature for aerial span.
Curt
0 Kudos