Local MapServices not displaying in ArcGIS for iOS after VPN dropped once

12-06-2011 02:49 PM
JessB
by
New Contributor
Hello,

I'm working with a utility that is interested in exposing their secure MapServices to smartphones/tablets and initially we are testing this using the ArcGIS application for iOS.

I followed the below to host the map description on the local ArcGIS server so that users don't need to login to ArcGIS.com to have access to configured apps.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobi...Guide/Maps.pdf

The workflow was this:

1) connect to wifi
2) VPN using Cisco AnyConnect
3) Open ArcGIS app and point to local server
4) Open map (map using Esri Bing basemap and two local MapServices)

This worked at first; however, once my VPN session was dropped the layers no longer appear on the map once I get the connections set up properly again.

Is there some type of cache that might need to be cleared (besides the Safari cache which I tried) that would perhaps persist a 'broken' layer and prevent the layer from showing once properly connected again?

Thanks,

Jess
(*This was also posted in general ArcGIS Online forum)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you try to load another map and then go back to the one you are viewing once the connection has been picked up again and see if that will fix your issue.
Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
JessB
by
New Contributor
Yeah ... I did give that a go but just pointing to a map from the public Esri gallery. No luck.

I haven't tried creating a new map using the aforementioned link just because it takes a while ... that's probably the next step though?

A couple other things that I did (about the same time the VPN failed) I should maybe mention ...

1) I designed the map in ArcGIS.com, then followed the doc to get the JSON which I then stored local. I then went back and deleted that map from ArcGIS.com.

2) I also decided to change the visibility of a layer so found the JSON here and changed a bool:
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ArcGIS\Mobile\ItemsRoot\632d56c5feb84f55a477f190d835abbf\Item
Is this file not to be edited?

Thanks!

Jess
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III
Do you have another map from your ArcGIS Servers area that you can switch to? Then switch back to the map you are having problems with. I don't know for certain, but perhaps maps in the ArcGIS Servers section of ArcGIS for iOS are cached separately from those maps coming from arcgis.com.

Also I would try this without the VPN if the above does not correct the issue. The VPN may have nothing to do with the problem but I would want to eliminate the possibility.
0 Kudos