Help with combining set of points to polygon

12-06-2011 01:38 PM
ConnorEmbleton
New Contributor
If anyone could shed some light, my issue is I have a set of twelve points I would like to combine to make a polygon.  They all have three dimensional spatial data and it would be ideal if they could keep their attribution (individual spatial data).  If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
I am not sure I understand your case.

If your points are in a cluster and you want a polygon to represent the cluster area, you can try the Aggregate Points tool (ArcGIS 10; ArcInfo licensing; Cartography toolbox - Generalization toolset).

If your points represent a polygon boundary and you want to connect them to make the polygon, you can try the Points To Line tool with CLOSED option to make a polyline and then use the Feature To Polygon tool to turn the polyline into a polygon.

Either way you will get a polygon from the point set without the point attribution. Depending on what attributes you like to derive from the points to the polygon, you may need Dissolve tool, Summary Statistics tool, or else.
0 Kudos
ConnorEmbleton
New Contributor
Thanks, you help was greatly appreciated.  In my specific case the attribution is the most important part of the data.  Is there anyway to keep the attribution attached to the data throughout the transformation process (from pts. to polyline to polygon)?

Thanks
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Thanks, you help was greatly appreciated.  In my specific case the attribution is the most important part of the data.  Is there anyway to keep the attribution attached to the data throughout the transformation process (from pts. to polyline to polygon)?

Thanks

Give an example of an "Attribution" from a set of points to a polygon.  Are you talking about one attribute or many attributes?  Do all of the points that make up the Polyline or Polygon have the same attribute value for every point or does this involve a one to many relationship?  If the relationship is one-to-one for all attributes then transferring the attributes should be relatively simple.   But if each attribute has a one-to-many relationship then you must use aggregation tools and you ought to have an ArcInfo license to use the full set of tools that handle that relationship in GIS.  The methods for creating the polyyline and polygon should preserve one value from the points that aggregated them into the polyline or polygon that can should be usable as a join value.  If not then a Spatial Join may be needed, but I would be surprised if that was necessary.  Anyway, you have not given enough information.
0 Kudos
ConnorEmbleton
New Contributor
Give an example of an "Attribution" from a set of points to a polygon.  Are you talking about one attribute or many attributes?  Do all of the points that make up the Polyline or Polygon have the same attribute value for every point or does this involve a one to many relationship?  If the relationship is one-to-one for all attributes then transferring the attributes should be relatively simple.   But if each attribute has a one-to-many relationship then you must use aggregation tools and you ought to have an ArcInfo license to use the full set of tools that handle that relationship in GIS.  The methods for creating the polyyline and polygon should preserve one value from the points that aggregated them into the polyline or polygon that can should be usable as a join value.  If not then a Spatial Join may be needed, but I would be surprised if that was necessary.  Anyway, you have not given enough information.

The points have the same attribution so in my case I'm just hoping to transfer the attribution (similar in all points) from points to the polyline and polygon.  I am developing a script to make height transformations to data.  In the case of polygon shapefiles, I first apply "Feature Vertices to Points" to access each individual node within the polygon.  Next I apply a height transformation to  the spatial data and apply the "Feature to 3D by Attribute" to assign the new Z value to the spatial data.  At this point I would like to rebuild the original polygon with the same points (including attached attribution) with the newly configured height values. 

The data itself came from a polygon was gathered with a Trimble GeoXH.  In the case of polygons the polygon vertices were gathered around a parking lot and once complete attribution fields were populated via drop down menus wihtin the GeoXH.  Attribution includes: material, owner, date of inspection, date of construction, quality, accuracy etc.  Once the polygon was imported into ArcGIS and the "Features Vertices to Points" was applied the attribution remains consistent within the points created from the polygon.  I would simply like to create a polygon from the points created from "Features Vertices to Points" while keeping (or restoring) the attribution.
0 Kudos
ConnorEmbleton
New Contributor
By the way, thank you, your help is much appreciated.
0 Kudos